Competency education provides a framework for learning with the goal of mastery of academic standards through personalized learning and differentiated supports for every student. Federal policies should focus on enabling competency by removing barriers for those states and districts that are ready to do it, and by creating the right incentives in the accountability system to focus on student growth to mastery.
KnowledgeWorks and The International Association for K-12 Online Learning have partnered to release recommendations for ESEA reauthorization. These recommendations support the growth of competency education in the K-12 education system, including:
- Pilot Competency-Based Accountability and Systems of Assessments in up to Five States
- Support Systems of Assessments That Align to Competency-Based Approaches
- Include System of Supports and Interventions in State Title I Plans
- Support Learning Infrastructure to Enable Competency Education
- Support Educators and Leaders to Build Capacity for Competency Education